Research Vision -
Core Strengths -
The core areas of study contributing to our research vision and comprising
intelligent vision are: mathematical control theory, applied
statistics, machine learning, and computer vision.
Within these area, members of the IVALab have specialized expertise in:
- Control and Dynamical Systems Theory
- Averaging theory;
Geometric nonlinear control;
Biologically-inspired locomotive systems;
Optimization and optimal control;
Differential geometry; and
- Machine Learning
- Manifold learning; Sampled estimation theory; and
- Applied Statistics
- Component analysis (PCA, ICA, KPCA, ...);
Robust statistics and outlier estimation; and
- Computer Vision
- Target tracking;
Estimation of scene geometry; and
Application domains of the core strengths are:
- Cellular tracking - the tracking of microbiological systems
for automated temporal anaylsis.
- estimation of cell motility and reproductive rates.
- Human surveillance
- Missile tracking
- tracking of missiles through turbulence and other visual
- Missile targetting
- the ability to hone on a missile and control the trajectory of an
intervention and destroy mechanism.
- Object tracking
- ability to track a target subject to unpredictable trajectory changes
and temporary occlusions.
- Object targetting
- ability to maintain relative position with respect to an object
subject to unpredictable motion.
- Autonomous navigation
- ability of a vehicle to autonomously navigate through unknown
- Assistive robotics
- robots working in cooperation with- and support of- humans.
- Operations analysis
- analysis of operations involving humans and mobile machinery in the
- safety analysis of construction sites, shipping ports, and